I have written a book, titled You Have A Choice: Beyond Hard Work to Meaningful Impact, which is now available on Amazon and on Bookshop. You can also ask your local bookstore to order it through the Ingram catalog. I was
so excited when I first held in my hands a book that I had written.
The book is designed for people who are stuck because working harder isn’t working for them. They have had success in their career but are blocked from further advancement, often because they are holding onto mindsets or behaviors that are keeping them in place. I redesigned my own life after burning out at Google in 2011, and now help leaders as an executive coach to find a new path forward. I wrote this book to share what I’ve learned with a wider audience, because I want to help more people than I can coach individually.
The book is centered on two principles:
- How are you the problem? I explore how your mindsets and behaviors are keeping you stuck, not just other people or outside circumstances. The only thing you control is your own behavior, so that’s what we examine to explore how you can change the situation.
- You have a choice. Once you see the ways in which your mindsets or behaviors are limiting you, what will you do differently? I take real life examples of frustrations and use this framework to identify different choices one could make. For instance, if you feel trapped in a job that pays well but is stressful and exhausting, you could explore how to lower the costs of your life with the FIRE movement, or look for ways to shape your job to be less stressful and more energizing.
Here’s what some early readers had to say:
- “You Have A Choice is a moving journey through the wisdom necessary to own your own journey. By generously sharing his story from being a burned out executive to a heart-centered coach dedicated to alleviating the suffering of others, Eric reinforces the profound truth of our own agency: we can shape the experience of our journeys and our lives. His work is a gift to all those struggling to find a way forward.”
— Jerry Colonna, author of Reunion: Leadership and the Longing to Belong
- “Powerful hard-earned wisdom here to help you align your actions with integrity. So wonderfully written, and so inspiring.”
— Derek Sivers, author of Anything You Want and former entrepreneur
- “I’ve been reading a pre-release copy of the book, and I highly recommend it. To be absolutely honest, I went into this thinking “I like Eric, and I’m looking forward to the stories of personal transformation he has to tell, but I don’t know how he’s going to differentiate himself from all the other self-help/personal transformation/exec coaching books out there.” The good news is that the answer is clear by Chapter 2 — I guarantee you that if you sit down and actually do the exercises from that Chapter onward, you’re a) going to feel productively uncomfortable, which I think is a sign of growth, and b) going to get a lot out of the book.”
— Cedric Chin, business thought leader at commoncog.com
- “You start showing up as an adult when you take responsibility for your own freedom. This book is a resource to help build the insight and courage to make the braver choice.”
— Michael Bungay Stanier, best-selling author of The Coaching Habit
If this resonates with you, I would love your support as I launch the book into the world. The best marketing is for people to read and recommend the book, so check it out. You can also support me with Amazon’s algorithm by purchasing and reviewing the book. Thanks!